[ RadSafe ] Fusion research [Helium}

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:58:29 CDT 2012

Hi Jerry:

Most of the helium comes from incidental recovery from oil & gas
production. There are initiatives afoot to develop "primary" helium
from non-flammable gas reserves in SE Colorado (and probably parts of
Oklahoma, Texas & New Mexico).  The helium, CO2 & N2 trapped beneath a
mid-Permian cap-rock contains up to 9% helium (e.g. Model Gas Field)
in non-flammable gas.  Joe Claire published a paper on the helium
resources of the Model field in 1956.  The Model Dome is on the East
flank of the Raton Basin adjacent to the Sierra Grande-Apishapa uplift
associated with some deeply-rooted growth faults active since early
Paleozoic.  These growth faults are part of the extension of the Wet
Mountain Faults that extend into the High Plains, with up to 5,000 ft
of vertical throw.  The Wet Mountains contains numerous veins of
uranothorite, and I presume that this zone of enrichment extends into
the basement out across the Sierra Grande Apishapa Uplift thus giving
rise to the helium in the Model Gas Field.

The source of helium is radiogenic from the decay of uranium & thorium
and trapped since Permian times. For U-238 to decay to Pb-206, there
are 8 alpha particles produced.

De-regulation removed the requirement that oil & gas suppliers extract
the helium from gas, now causing a bit of a stir regarding the future
reserves / resources of helium.

The Hindenburg blew-up because it used hydrogen, not helium.

Dan ii