[ RadSafe ] VB: Why was the whispering Heisenberg not executed ?

Lars Persson lars.ingeman at telia.com
Sun Jun 10 12:57:45 CDT 2012

For information.

Lars Persson
Slånbärsvägen 11A
19334 Sigtuna
0708-297100
08-56821926

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Lars Persson [mailto:lars.ingeman at telia.com]
Skickat: den 10 juni 2012 11:52
Till: 'Radsafe Message (radsafe at radlab.nl)'
Ämne: VB: Why was the whispering Heisenberg not executed ?

2012-06-09

Dear Lars,

                     Your message about Bohr and Heiseberg has put my
memory in action  --  slowly.  Thence the question  "Why was the
whispering Heisenberg not executed ? "

     Niels Bohr (my former super-boss and office neighbour) had worked
in Manchester with Rutherford. He was known to be an anglophilic. His
friend, the eminent German atomic physicist Werner Heisenberg, was the
one in Germany  --  if any  --   who would know how  to persue the
objective: the Atomic Bomb.  Did his competence surpass that  possessed
at that juncture by the allied powers ?

     If this could be suspected, his meeting Bohr during the war could
put him at risk of being accused of high treason im Dritten Reich.

    At the 50th CP1-anniversary our Royal Academy of Sciences invited
the reknown French 'atomic' historian, dr. Goldschmidt. At the
discussion after his lecture, I asked the question above.  The response
was lively.  I do not recall whether anything similar to a
conclusion/consensus was arrived at.

     An (energetic) researcher might be able to find something in the
Academy archive or in dr. Goldsshmidt's papers.

With greetings, also to dr. Franz Schoenhofer,
   from
your firm friend

Jørgen

--