[ RadSafe ] Coming soon to a basement near you???????

Mon Jun 11 11:27:01 CDT 2012

The short answer is, "no".  One cannot use off the shelf canisters of
deuterium and a random fission bomb and make a fusion bomb.  I actually
know the long answer, but it would take more time than I have at the
moment, and the answer is still, "no".

A tank of deuterium is no more dangerous than a similar size tank of
regular hydrogen.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
JPreisig at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:25 PM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Coming soon to a basement near you???????

Dear Radsafe,

     The Fusor website is pretty interesting.   Kids and adults doing
fusion science with
high voltage power supplies, bottles of deuterium, etc.  Normally I
would
just chuckle about all this,
but I have some concerns.

     The Voltages being used are pretty high, and the  power supplies
are
not necessarily
good, off-the-shelf, well-designed power supplies.

     People are buying lab. bottles of deuterium from  Scientific supply

houses etc.  For a few hundred $$$.
This is a low-level proliferation hazard.  Transactions should be
tracked.
 Someone buying more than a
few lab. bottles of deuterium needs to be tracked.

     One Suitcase nuke from the former USSR, or  wherever, combined with
fair amount of
deuterium could produce a home-grown Hydrogen (Fusion) weapon.  D, D
reaction etc.
It could happen.  It shouldn't be allowed to happen.  No wonder  the
USA/Allies were so
concerned about that Heavy Water plant in Norway (or wherever) during
World
 War II.
The Hydrogen weapon might have already been in someones mind at that
time.

     I see no evidence of neutron shielding for these  Fusor amateur
fusion
efforts.
Shielding should happen as such experiments are scaled up.

     I'd hate to see what would happen to a safety  official (state
government level???) on the western
USA coast if some kid were to electrocute himself, and the state
official
knew the
situation.

    Have a safe day...      Regards,    Joseph R. (Joe) Preisig, PhD

In a message dated 6/8/2012 3:06:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,