[ RadSafe ] Looking for U or Th source

franz.schoenhofer at chello.at franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Tue Jun 19 12:15:14 CDT 2012

Rob,

Why don't you use a piece of uranium ore like pitchblende or carnotite? In Colorado and Utah chunks of rock containing carnotite are lying on the ground just to be picked up....... (I did it a few years ago and it was very easy to find them even with my  very primitive dose rate meter.)  Furthermore I cannot believe that the sale of such bits of ore or minerals would be prohibited in the USA and I guess that hundreds of mineral shops would be happy to sell both uranium and thorium ores. There might  be some old samples at uranium and thorium compounds at universities in the chemistry laboratories, but there you should be careful, because if they are not really old (pre WWII) they are almost exclusively containing depleted uranium.

I personally have ample access to such samples and sources, but I won't send any to the USA. I do  not want to be put on any US list of suspected nuclear terrorists.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Franz