[ RadSafe ] Global Warming, Sunspots...

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Thu Jun 28 17:40:06 CDT 2012

Dear Radfsafe, Howard Long:

     Hope you all are well.

     The data you point me towards on the petition  project are pretty
compelling.  I'll have to look at the
competition's data at another time.

     Howard Long, you would be well-advised to not just  refer to something
going on with sunspots,
and start using solar irradiance or whatever solar (flux density???) unit
the petition project is using.
Your arguments would be more convincing.

    Many of the data from the petition project need error  bars.  Any such
petitioner who advances
such data without error bars (especially physicists!!!) needs to get
cracking on adding error bars to
their data.  Old data have severely large error bars.  Back in  the day
there was limited spatial
coverage of weather  data over the surface of the Earth.  You  folks from
California could have
Walter Munk (UCSD/Scripps) in for a talk about Global Warming, Earth
temperature, if he still is
around.

    Since about 1984 serious VLBI and Atmospheric Angular  Momentum data
started to be taken by
various government agencies.  I hope this data collection effort is
continuing.

    So, it seems, right now, with respect to global warming,  there is the
petition project camp which
suggests everything is OK globally.

    Then there is the Gore/more liberal/more environmentally  science
oriented camp that says
something is very wrong and we need to modify our Energy etc.  behavior.

    I'm not sure on what side most of the Global Circulation  Modeller
types sit.  Sometimes GCM's
give good results.  Sometimes it is GIGO --- Garbage In, Garbage  Out.
Understanding of the problems involved is more important than blindly  applying
some large/fast computer model.  That being said,
 much weather prediction is still based on satellite images we get  from
above.

     Nuclear power has its place in all this--- in  terms of atmospheric
problems, it is relatively clean.
The High Level Waste can be readily handled, and reprocessed one day as
necessary.  If the
environmental types would back off on some of the legal stuff that is
choking the building of new
nuclear plants, USA and other World societies would benefit.  No more
building reactors
down on the ocean coast in tsunami-land, however.

     Right now, we must venture a bit on the side of  caution and/or
safety.  Global warming data need to
become better.  Global populations need to be controlled somewhat, and
perhaps reduced
in a well-planned manner.  The Earth supports 3 billion people more
readily than 6 billion people.
I don't really think it can be business as usual at this time.  As  usual,
the upcoming USA
Presidential election will decide who gets to run somewhat the USA for the
next four years.
The businessman or the liberal guy.  One is a business as usual guy  and
one is probably too much
of an Environmental-Left Winger.  You can be sure the College kids  will
get the vote out.
The liberals in the USA will vote their conscience.  And the people in  the
midwest and elsewhere
who are tired of being unemployed will vote in the direction they  will.

     Many of the combatants on each side have PhD's and  name recognition.
So What????!!!!

     Take Care...  Regards,   Joseph R.  (Joe) Preisig, PhD

In a message dated 6/26/2012 6:44:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,