[ RadSafe ] Diesel exhaust and underground mining vs other factorsfor lung cancer

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Mar 2 22:53:29 CST 2012

March 2

         The dispute is not over whether or not radon causes
cancer.  The dispute is over how much cancer is caused by radon.  The
EPA estimated (in 2003) that radon causes about 21,000 lung cancer
deaths per year.  This estimate was based on BEIR VI.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/risk_assessment.html

         The annual death toll from cigarette smoking is around
450,000.  (How much of that is lung cancers I do not know.)

         I am eagerly awaiting the JNCI paper, which will be
available on the afternoon of Monday, March 5.

Steven Dapra