[ RadSafe ] Birds and radioactivity

Maury maurysis at peoplepc.com
Tue Mar 6 17:04:32 CST 2012

I kept waiting with baited breath for someone to say what it is -- I
understood it, but what is it called? So:

From: Wikipedia via duckduckgo.com
minuscule <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lower_case>: "*ø*", is a vowel
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel> and a letter
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_%28alphabet%29> used in the Danish
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_and_Norwegian_alphabet>, Faroese
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faroese_language#Alphabet>, Norwegian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_and_Norwegian_alphabet> and
Southern Sami
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Sami_language#Writing_system>
languages. It is mostly used as a representation of mid front rounded
vowels, such as ø
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_front_rounded_vowel> œ
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-mid_front_rounded_vowel>, except for
Southern Sami where it's used as an [oe] diphthong
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphthong>.

The name of this letter is the same as the sound it represents (see
usage <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98#Language_usage>). Though not
its native name, among English-speaking typographers the symbol may be
called a "slashed o" or "o with stroke". Although these names suggest it
is a ligature <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligature_%28typography%29>
or a diacritical <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diacritic> variant of the
letter /o/, it is considered a separate letter in Norwegian and Danish,
and it is alphabetized after "z" -- thus z, æ, ø, and å.

In other languages that do not have the letter as part of the regular
alphabet or in limited character sets
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_set> such as ASCII
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII>, ø is frequently replaced with the
two-letter combination "oe".