[ RadSafe ] Birds and radioactivity

Karen Street Karen_Street at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 6 16:33:16 CST 2012

Franz,

It meant that I was too lazy to look up the technical name for the o and that I didn't have at my fingertips the description of how to type letters that I don't often use. I was substituting oe for o with the line through it and wasn't sure that's what I was supposed to do...

I know we Americans can be lazy and ignorant, and in this case, I was. I did guess that it was Danish. At least with the two dots, I know it's an umlaut and know for sure that oe is the other way we can write it.

Also, there may be cultural differences in how we describe things. I'm not sure that an American would take funny to mean ridiculous in this case. Just imagine that it's another version of "how are you?", brought out more frequently by Americans than would occur in some other cultures.

On the other hand, from the political discussions now occurring in the US, it appears that about 1/3 of my fellow Americans are utter foreigners to me, so my assumptions about what Americans might mean when we talk or write are probably mistaken.

I have talked to people in other countries who want to know why, when 99 German speakers and one American go to a conference, the conference is in English. It can be frustrating, I know. At least you can feel confident that we'll understand this issue with more clarity as English is displaced by Chinese.