[ RadSafe ] [gse-aa] Auroral Alert -- getting more better <g>

Maury maurysis at peoplepc.com
Wed Mar 7 23:33:21 CST 2012

[gse-aa] Auroral Alert

The auroral activity index of 5 and 6 that occurred on the 7th (today)
is the result of the solar event on the 5th that was the subject of the
previous alert.  Aurora should have been visible as far south as the
middle of the US on the night of Mar 6/7, as we predicted in the last alert.

A large solar event early on the 7th of March was directly more closely
to the Earth-Sun line, and should produce more activity.  The debris
should reach Earth sometime in the late morning of March 8 GMT.  This
means that the resulting aurora may be visible late on the night of the
7th/8th from Alaska, but Western Russia, Europe, and the US will
probably see activity levels of Kp=5 or greater on the night of March 8/9.

Note that activity on the 7th may still be greater than Kp=4.

We are having trouble with the short-term forecast panel on the aurora
forecast website http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/, but watch the
short term forecast to determine what the activity level will be in the
next hour.