[ RadSafe ] Bernie Cohen, a great scientist and a teacher par excellence

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 04:39:40 CDT 2012

Dear Radsafers,

Bernard Cohen was a great inspiration to many young scientists in India. I started paying attention to his research for the first time when I read about the use activated charcoal for collecting radon.

His paper on "Catalogue of risks" published in Health Physics is preserved by many.His arguments on the scientific validity of LNT hypothesis are well known

His eminently readable books attracted the attention of every one. particularly "Before it is too late, a scientist's case for nuclear energy".I recall that on one occasion, a senior scientist argued that professional societies must buy this book and distribute it free to those who will argue for nuclear power. I feel that it is the best book explaining the complex issues such as nuclear waste management facing nuclear industry.

I have a few messages from Professor Cohen explaining his views on nuclear related topics; he always replied in a day or two. RADSAFERS will miss him and his lucid messages.

Regards
Parthasarathy