[ RadSafe ] Nuclear power plants – unwise for pregnant women and children to live near them?

Brad Keck bradkeck at mac.com
Thu May 3 23:30:13 CDT 2012

Roger,

This is certainly not the "Nuclear News" of the American Nuclear Society!

it is interesting to note that in the German paper you reference below, it is only in 1990 and 1991 that an "excessive" number of cases was observed - 3 and 2, respectively.  In all the other years, there is either 0 or 1 case observed.  SInce it is medically impossible to observe 0.3 cases, in 13/15 years, the expected values are in fact observed.  While it is most misfortunate for any child to contract leukemia (statistically expected or not), this would seem to me to be such small numbers of observations that random chance can not be excluded, particularly in the absence of a plausible mechanism, which the authors concede.

Perhaps Prof. Richardson in Chapel Hill will see this and comment?

Bradly D. Keck, PhD, CHP