[ RadSafe ] Gross Alpha questions

Chris Alston achris1999 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:37:40 CDT 2012


I would call down to ORISE/ORAU and ask them.  E.g., Paul Frame might
know, off the top of his head.  There might even be a note in the EML
Procedures Manual (HASL-300), which is online.


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Michael E. Kitto <mek14 at health.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Gross Alpha questions
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu

Gross alpha activity can be determined by measuring planchets on
gas-proportional counters.  We have a limit of 100 mg (5 mg/cm2) of
precipitate on the planchet.  Does anyone have a method of estimating the
maximum volume of a water sample that can be evaporated to stay below this
limit without "trial and error" or pre-evaporation of small aliquot ?  For
example, will a conductivity meter or turbidity measurement provide an
estimate of the amount of dissolved solids?  I am looking to develop a
correlation of the measured precipitate (dissolved solids) with a (yet to
be determined) parameter.  Thanks in advance, Mike Kitto
You are currently subscribed to the RadSafe mailing list

Before posting a message to RadSafe be sure to have read and
understood the RadSafe rules. These can be found at:

For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe and other settings
visit: http://health.phys.iit.edu

More information about the RadSafe mailing list