[ RadSafe ] Low Level Readings using probes

Tue May 15 18:50:45 CDT 2012

In my opinion, the CDV-700 is an excellent tool for limited but
important applications.  I could teach a Radiation 101 course with
nothing but a CDV-700 and some common objects.  If I were facing a
post-apocalyptic world, it is one of the instruments I would want.  But
for anything I might have to defend in court, or that clean-up decisions
were going to be made on, I would want something newer and more
versatile, with a data logger, a set of smart probes calibrated with the
meter, and if not all the bells and whistles, at least more that the 700
has.  And if you really think you will run into high dose rates,
optimize your plan and equipment for detecting that; don't worry about
doing all with one instrument.  The CDV kits came with a 700 and a 715,
the latter useful if you actually saw the mushroom cloud, or you needed
something sturdy to club the mutant zombies with.  I think you could
open beer bottles with the shoulder strap bracket, too.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Matt Sargent
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:50 AM
To: radsafe at health.phys.iit.edu
Subject: [ RadSafe ] Low Level Readings using probes

Low Level Readings using probes

One thing I've read that I am trying to understand, is it sounds like
the response output is only linear up to a certain point on certain
detectors, after that readings become non-linear, this leads me into
wondering about how well various products deal with this, from what I
can tell any given meter/software solution had best be tied to a
specific probe's characteristic, not only in the high voltage power
supply requirement, but also to linearize the respond at various source
levels which could potentially confront the detector. Is this something
worth worrying about? I've yet to see any plots of how non-linear the
response gets.

Up to this point in time, I have been comparing relatively small counts,
if that was all I cared about, why spend a great deal more, get a really
good detector and hook it up to just about any old meter/power supply
and take the readings. Kind of what I've been thinking. However, if I
want to have accurate comparable numbers from higher intensity levels, I
have better make sure my detector probe model is supported (and it's
non-linearity corrected) by whatever measurement meter/software solution
we're using.

If that makes sense?

I have an old CDV-700 model meter and I am trying to decide if it is
worthwhile to get an alpha, beta, gamma probe for it or upgrade
completely to something new?  I am looking at the RDS-31 with the GMP-11
probe.  As I a very familiar with the RDS family I have a bunch of the
RDS-30's on the Job Site.

One other question I have pondered is the degrading effect that
Radiation has on electronics how does the new digital equipment shield
itself from this?  Not that one is high rate areas all the time but how
will they last over time?

Can any one point me to some papers or studies that can possibly give me
some answers or make some recommendations?

Kindly,

Matt Sargent
Safety Compliance Officer

8403 Davies Road NW Edmonton, AB T6E 4N3
Ph: (780) 486 7344 Fx: (780) 486 4685
www.buffaloinspection.com<http://www.buffaloinspection.com/>