[ RadSafe ] Low Level Readings using probes

Thompson, Dewey L DThompson3 at ameren.com
Wed May 16 07:51:07 CDT 2012

Wow.  Where to start.  I suggest you get a copy of Glen Knolls book, or possibly the Greek from University of Missouri Rolla, Tsoulfanidis.

The word "linear" in a question about radiation detectors gives me the willies.    Radiation detectors have a number of parameters, in general they are not "linear" in any way.

OK.......here goes my two cents worth.  For photon radiation:

Energy response.
This is linear only with well designed ion chambers.  IF you have electronic equilibrium in the chamber walls that is......The problem with ion chambers is that they are rather insensitive due to the extremely low current produced inside the chamber.  This also assumes severe limitations on the energy range measured.

Geiger Mueller detectors are quite energy dependent, primarily because they are an event rate counter.  Properly designed filtration on the tube can "flatten" the energy response such that the dose is "somewhat" linear (probably good enough for most uses).

Solid state detectors are generally energy dependent, this is a function of the probability of photon interaction.  "in general", photoelectric effect, Compton Scatter, and Pair Production are dependent upon both the Z of the absorber and the energy of the photon. Thus, the detector will be  energy dependent as well.

Rate response.
In general linear for ion chambers and solid state detectors, within the ability of the electrical circuit to carry signals.

Geiger tubes have longer dead time, (dependent upon the tube design), and generally will under respond at higher rates due to swamping.

The whole point of all this is that "there really isn't a perfect radiation detector".  They all have strengths, weaknesses, and idiosyncrasies.  Generally, you need to know the characteristics and rate limits of the radiation you want to detect, and equip as indicated.

You appear to be asking about linear rate response.  Not bad with a scintillator (generally), likely terrible with a GM tube.

For radiation effects upon components and is the new digital stuff any better, well, that is a mixed bag.  Generally dirt and grime is a much larger enemy to electronic components than radiation damage.  The digital stuff just allows the bright boy designers to design new, complicated "wow" features.

FWIW

Dewey