[ RadSafe ] What fertilizer - specifically????

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:20:13 CST 2012

Hi Group:

The fertilizer that I've always been concerned with is phosphate fertilizer
BECAUSE all marine phosphorites contain about 125 mg/kg U (and progeny) and
are the primary source of phosphate fertilizer worldwide.  During
processing, the wet phosphoric acid process adds H2SO4 to the ore forming
H3PO4 and the radium is generally precipitated as a sulfate and discarded
in the tailings but the uranium is carried-over into the product.
 Following addition of H2SO4, it is possible to use solvent extraction
(DEPA-TOPO as the extractant) to recover 90% of the uranium from the raw
phosphoric acid..

I have an unpublished paper on the cost of uranium recovery from phosphates
from various technologies (SX,IX, etc.) which was circulated at an IAEA
conference in the 90s.

See http://www.aiche-cf.org/Clearwater/2008/Paper1/8.1.4.pdf

Also note that potash mining generally involves mining KCl as a bedded salt.

Thus, most phosphate fertilizers contain significant uranium.

I will not comment on pigs that only follow.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425