[ RadSafe ] Soil Blending

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Thu Nov 8 08:12:03 CST 2012

We built a soil sorter and sorted an SDMP site with 250,000 tons of thoria
contaminated soil.  NRC like what we did.  We sorted to 30 pCi/g for
offsite burial at Envirocare (about 20% of the total, shipped by rail) and
the 80% remaining averaged 15 pCi/g which was placed at the site in the big
hole under a 15 foot clean overburden.  The site has permanent restrictions
to avoid future development that would compromise the clean cover.

Joe Shonka
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.
119 Ridgemore Circle