[ RadSafe ] Soil Blending

Joseph Shonka jjshonka at shonka.com
Thu Nov 8 08:12:03 CST 2012

Pete

We built a soil sorter and sorted an SDMP site with 250,000 tons of thoria
contaminated soil.  NRC like what we did.  We sorted to 30 pCi/g for
offsite burial at Envirocare (about 20% of the total, shipped by rail) and
the 80% remaining averaged 15 pCi/g which was placed at the site in the big
hole under a 15 foot clean overburden.  The site has permanent restrictions
to avoid future development that would compromise the clean cover.

Joe Shonka
--
Joseph J. Shonka, Ph.D.
Shonka Research Associates, Inc.