[ RadSafe ] Soil Blending

Schmidt, Duane Duane.Schmidt at nrc.gov
Thu Nov 8 17:12:31 CST 2012

Pete C, et al:

I just wanted to let you know that the NRC staff has some guidance on the topic of intentional (purposeful) mixing (blending) of soil to meet the license termination rule. That guidance is in NUREG-1757, Vol. 1, Rev. 2 (September 2006), Section 15.13. See our web page at:

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1757/

A brief summary follows, but please read the guidance if you want to implement it.

Typically, intentional mixing is not used to achieve the license termination rule dose criteria (or DCGLs). However, the guidance states that intentional mixing can be approved on a case-by-case basis in limited circumstances. Some of the limitations are:

- The NRC staff will consider only cases in which the intentional mixing is part of an overall approach to site cleanup that is ALARA - the ALARA evaluation of the overall approach must support the use of mixing instead of other approaches (i.e., soil removal).

- The intentional mixing should not be the sole means to achieve the license termination dose criteria.

- The footprint (areal extent) of residual radioactivity should not be increased as a result of the intentional mixing.

- Uncontaminated soil from outside the contaminated zone should generally not be used.

More details are provided (on these limitations and other aspects) in the guidance, and some of the details may be critical.

Please note that some Agreement States may not endorse the NRC guidance on intentional mixing (NRC does not speak for States).

In addition, NRC decommissioning staff recommends (strongly) that licensees consult with their regulator (NRC or State or other) in advance about a proposal to use intentional mixing.

Sorry for the caveat, but... This e-mail does not constitute NRC staff guidance - the guidance is in NUREG-1757.

Hope this helps,

Duane.

Duane Schmidt, CHP

Senior Health Physicist