[ RadSafe ] Mars Radiation Won't Harm Astronauts, Curiosity Rover Finds

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 17:59:54 CST 2012

Hi -

I've always wondered about that.  Are these fairly regular magnetic
reversal events caused by something in the core? Or does the magnetic field
of the Earth reflect the magnetic field of the sun?

But many think that the Earth's magnetic field does not disappear during
reversal, but behaves in a more chaotic way until N-S. or S-N orientation
is achieved.  Thus, extinction events are unlikely.  Another hypothesis is
that major impacts might trigger magnetic reversal, but there is no
evidence of reversal during the K-T unconformity event.  There is thought
that the magnetic field of Mars was lost during a series of episodic
impacts. Plate tectonism seems to be absent on the Moon or Mars for several
billion years, and the volcanic activity of Mars has declined significantly
since 3-4 billion years ago suggesting that the "dynamo" in Mar's core
ceased to function at that time.

Dan ii