[ RadSafe ] Mangano - Disease and death toll from Fukushima radiation needs careful, patient, tracking

SAF OPT safarber at optonline.net
Wed Sep 5 14:01:45 CDT 2012

The problem seems to be that Public Health agencies [with some supposed
level of credibility ] in the US are unwilling to state or summarize  info
to the general public via some media outreach program in a creative way,
about the lack of harm from some trivial source of radiation exposure.
Actions like this by regulators would be criticized as advocacy, despite
there being clear evidence of the negative effects of fear prompted by false
information.  Corporations don't like to get involved in a fight like this,
preferring to keep their heads down while maintaining that someone else
should "fight the fight".

Some years ago while actively working in the nuclear power field, I had
presented a paper about this syndrome,  titled: "Nuclear Power and Public
Information -- Suicide on the Installment Plan".  However, I was able to get
involved in efforts like this, only because I was  not on staff at some
nuclear utility at the time and I was acting as a private citizen. The
preceding talk was delivered by  invitation to speak before the New England
Chapter of the ANS following a cutting satire I had written about the health
hazards of "strepdukakis anti-nucleosis"   which was published widely in New
England based newspapers, and national publications like the HPS Newsletter
and the ANS "Backscatter" humor column.  This satire obviously goes back a
few years to when MA Govenor Dukakis was running for President in 1988. This
satire got under the skin of key national energy advisors to Dukakis, but
that is another story. It was a lot of fun. While humorously stated, the
comments made were cutting and impactful.

The CDC's National Center for Environmental Health will generally evaluate
some potential rad risk when they get sufficient funding and pressure.
However, this action to evaluate a rad risk is often based on what I see as
situational ethics. And once a determination is made that there is no
indication of harm [but of course they would highlight that there are
uncertainties which might not exclude some small level of harm] a larger
study would be necessary.

There is also an obvious symbiotic relationship between many radiation
regulatory agencies and scaremongers,  since when distorted and obviously
false claims are made [vs.  the huge body of knowledge about radiation
biofects based on more than a $billion of research on environmental and
health effects]   sometimes funds are authorized by legislators to carry out
some study which increases budgets and staff for the Agencies involved.
What is the incentive for regulatory groups to actively try and put out
accurate information on the absence of harm?

No Public Health agency seems willing to clearly state the absence of risk
in claims about radiation risk, and if  they have such data  they are
totally unwilling or inept in communicating this information to this effect
to the public in any impactful manner.

Stewart Farber, MSPH
SAFarber at optonline.net