[ RadSafe ] UK stolen 192Ir source

Fred BY fd003f0606 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 02:48:09 CDT 2013

Found

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-21788687

Radioactive canister stolen in Bacup found in Rochdale

A canister of radioactive material stolen from a van in Lancashire has been
found in a retail park in Greater Manchester.

It was taken from the back of a van in Bacup between 16 and 17 February.

A suspicious package was found at Point Retail Park in Rochdale at about
12:45 GMT. It was declared safe by police and has been removed.

Police said the material, believed to be Iridium 192, was not dangerous
while it remained in the canister.

Supt Chris Hankinson said: "This has caused some disruption this afternoon
but we have to put the safety of the public first.

"Highly trained officers have assessed the canister and there aren't any
leaks or safety concerns.

"Enquiries are ongoing to trace anyone involved," he added.