[ RadSafe ] outdoor low dose rate measurements

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Wed Apr 3 14:39:15 CDT 2013

Radsafers

I just finished a calculation that's going to require a minimally trained
individual (not a radworker)  to notice the difference between 0.03
mrad/hr and 0.13 mrad/hr on a handheld meter while walking around an
outdoor storage area. I'm stressing that this is a calculated result
because it's the maximum calculated difference. The minimum calculated
difference is between 0.02 mrad/hr to 0.04 mrad/hr. Actual dose rates
should fall somewhere in between.

Is this a reasonable expectation, or is it asking too much of an outdoor
walk-around with a hand held meter?  BTW, I have no idea what the radon
conditions are.

thx in advance  - -jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768