[ RadSafe ] Tritium production in a nuke plant

Steve Schulin steve.schulin at nuclear.com
Thu Apr 18 10:10:35 CDT 2013

Hi Emil -

Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) has issued several reports as part of its Tritium Studies Project, launched in 2007. The project web pages start at http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/readingroom/tritium/tritium_studies.cfm

A CNSC press release earlier this year reported that "The highest average annual tritium level measured in the drinking water of Canadian communities neighbouring nuclear facilities is about 18 Bq/l. This is well below drinking water limits recommended by Health Canada of 7,000 Bq/l."

2006 Tritium releases from the CANDU sites Darlington, Pickering, Bruce, Gentilly-2 and Point Lepreau are shown in Table 2 at http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/pubs_catalogue/uploads/CNSC_Release_and_Dose_eng_rev2.pdf

Best wishes,

NUCLEAR.COM

Steve Schuin
http://www.nuclear.com