[ RadSafe ] Tritium production in a nuke plant

Rahim Ghanooni rahim.ghanooni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 23:41:40 CDT 2013

John:

Thanks for the suggestion, yes we have GALE and used it.  This is the
problem with GALE.

GALE is designed for a typical 600 to 800 MWt PWR, or BWR.  We are
designing a modular reactor 45 MW, and we do not have many of the systems
that other nukes have (WWW. NUSCALEPOWER.com).

I manually calculated the radionuclide inventory in the reactor coolant and
the steam generator, using nureg-0017, then creating a spreadsheet
determining the gaseous and liquid effluent.  NRC requires to calculate
C-14, Ar-41, and T.  The first two are calculated, and I am trying to get
more information on T.  I also calculated the fuel depletion, and by the
time I finish determining the T activity, I am done with the source term,
then start shielding calculation and dose assessment.

Rahim