[ RadSafe ] two shells Tritium production in a nuke plant

Scott Davidson bsdnuke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:28:21 CDT 2013

My 2 cents worth.  The issue is not new with tritium.  What is new is that
everybody looked but missed calculating the dose from the pathway of
tritium to the environment.  Because this was missed when tritium was found
it was not expected and no one knew whether it was a big deal or not.
 Also, this pathway was not included in the plant's ODCM which I think
stands for off site dose calculation manual.

All routine release pathways are accounted for in the ODCM or so we
thought.  In the 1970s there was a leak from condensate tanks to the
environment at Indian Point.  This resulted in a Bulletin which carried the
equivalent of law for the plants to look for a sneak pathway to the
environment.  NRC inspectors looked at the pathways too and that ended
that.  So this tritium issue is just an unanalyzed pathway for plants
currently operating.

Remember this if your source term or expected release is 10 curies or 1000
you will have the same performance requirements (LLD) in your RETS which is
the radiological environmental technical specifications.  This uncertainty
is probably about the same order of magnitude error in the geohydrological
modeling.  So if the proponent of the new plant uses a worst case
combination of these you just have to meet the environmental dose
performance objectives in 10 CFR 50 Appendix I.  These have the gaseous and
liquid pathways which should be able to capture and model intakes from the
tritium in the aquifer or groundwater providing drinking water, irrigation,
etc.

For an order of magnitude SWAG, I would look at John Till's Radiological
Assessment book which is a NUREG.  It may be helpful to eventually writing
the scope of work for the contractor that can help you with this.

Scott