[ RadSafe ] Scrubs, contamination and medical infections

Emil kerrembaev at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 28 13:50:04 CDT 2013

Dear Radsafers,

I was wondering for a while.
Is it only me who feels strange when doctors and nurses are wearing their scrubs in and out of medical facilities?
I spent my share of time at Nuclear Power Plants wearing scrubs in and out going out through contamination monitors. Some nanoCi of Co-60 could be annoying if stuck on the scrub material.

I never seen any contamination controls (or controls are even possible with out changing clothing) in the hospitals when doctors and nurses in scrubs come in from home or lunch. The whole hospital scrubs wearing ritual is kind of charade to make everyone feel safe from the germs. And germs brought INTO the hospital are not annoying as nanoCi of Co-60, these germs are deadly in the radiation, chemo therapy recovery rooms. I have friend of mine and her brother was treated for cancer and just died from pneumonia...I am still wondering may be germs which attacked his immune weak lungs came from the hospital lunch room on the scrub.

It is kind of, if we would do reactor cavity decon and then with out changing protective clothing go straight into cafeteria.

Emil Murat.