[ RadSafe ] A judges' criticism of John W Gofman ? Arthur RTamplin?

Steve Schulin steve.schulin at nuclear.com
Tue Apr 30 21:21:36 CDT 2013

My first recollection of Gofman and Tamplin was their 1971 book "Poisoned Power". Here's the bio from dust jacket:

Internationally known for their research on the effects of radioactivity on the environment, and particularly on man, John W. Gofman and Arthur R. Tamplin are research associates at Lawrence Radiation Laboratory in Livermore, California.

        Arthur R. Tamplin is a graduate of the University of California at Berkeley, with a B.A. in biochemistry and a Ph.D. in biophysics. As a group leader in the Biomedical Division at Lawrence, he has been responsible for developing the ability to predict the ultimate distribution within the biosphere—particularly the concentration in man—of each radionuclide produced in the explosion of a nuclear device. This program also is concerned with the effects of its radiation on man. Previously he was a research associate with Rand Corporation, working on problems concerned with the space program.

        John W. Gofman has degrees from the University of California. a Ph.D. in nuclear-physical chemistry (at Berkeley) and an M.D. He is Professor of Medical Physics at Berkeley.

        Form 1963 to Sept. 1969, he was Associate Director of the Lawrence Laboratory.

        Dr. Gofman is a co-discoverer of U232, Pa232, U233, Pa233; and of slow and fast neutron fissionability of U233. He also is co-inventor of the uranyl acetate and columbium oxide processes for plutonium separation. He has taught in the radioisotope and radiobiology fields for over 20 years, and has done research in radiochemistry, macromolecules, lipoproteins, coronary heart disease, arteriosclerosis, trace element determination, x-ray spectroscopy, chromosomes and cancer, and radiation hazards.

        Co-editor of Advances in Biological and Medical Physics, he also has written about 130 articles, and has prepared many additional reports. In addition, he is author, with A.V. Nichols and E.V. Dobbin, of three books on heart disease. He is a member of 10 scholarly and professional societies.

        Drs. Gofman and Tamplin have worked together not only in research but also as crusaders before governmental, public and professional groups to make Americans aware of the grave dangers of nuclear pollution.