[ RadSafe ] Victoreen Infra-red Communicator Model 450-1A

Richard D. Urban Jr. radmax at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 7 17:52:34 CDT 2013

According to the 451P, 450B manuals, there is no 'Software'... you need a standard RS-232 terminal, OR RS-232 EMULATOR software and USB, Serial or Paralel to RS-232 cable for a standard contemporary PC, the software is internal to the meter...
http://www.flukebiomedical.com/Biomedical/usen/Support/Manuals/default.htm?ProductId=54793

"The Model 451P periodically tests for input at its RS-232 port. The model 451P sends test signals, if the
RS-232 is present and operational, the survey meter will enter into the communications mode. The 451P
display will clear and the letters “CO” will be displayed as an indication that the unit is in the
communications mode.
The RS-232 port is compatible with a CRT or printing terminal having a standard RS-232 connector and a
1200-baud rate. A computer with a modem or terminal emulator may be used in place of the terminal.
The terminal or computer should be set up for a 1200 baud, 7 data bits, no parity bit, and 1 stop bits (i.e.,
7 data bits, no parity, and 1 stop bit). To establish communications, perform the following:
1. Attach the RS-232 cable assembly to the back of the survey meter.
2. When “CO” appears on the 451P display, press the computer or terminal spacebar."

There IS an MS Excel (versions 95 thru 2000, Windows 95 thru 2000/XP) interface program available at...
http://www.flukebiomedical.com/biomedical/usen/radiation-safety/survey-meters/451exl.htm?PID=54791

Price not listed, includes RS-232 cable and a 'diskette' set, so you may be limited to older computers.

Instructions for the 450-1A IR, are essentially the same as above, and again there is no external software, just a RS-232 Terminal or Terminal Emulator.  So that 451-P Excel interface MAY also work with the older 450 series (450B-450P
http://www.fieldenvironmental.com/assets/files/Manuals/Victoreen%20450B%20Ion%20Chamber%20Survey%20Meter%20Manual.pdf

Hope this helps some...
I think the plant I'm off to this month MIGHT have the Fluke/Victoreens, if so I'll drop in on the instrument guys and see if I can get the software...

Richard Urban