[ RadSafe ] Can Parkinson syndrome be caused by exposure to radionuclides

Mohan Doss mohan.doss at fccc.edu
Mon Aug 12 13:38:47 CDT 2013

Dear all,
       Re-sending the message as my last one came out partly garbled.

       There is some evidence to the contrary in an animal study.   In
this study, low dose radiation was observed to reduce Parkinson's
disease symptoms:

El-Ghazaly MA, Sadik NA, Rashed ER and Abd El-Fattah AA.
Neuroprotective effect of EGb761(R) and low-dose whole-body
gamma-irradiation in a rat model of Parkinson's disease.
Toxicol Ind Health. Toxicol Ind Health. 2013 May 21.
Abstract Available at:
http://tih.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/05/20/0748233713487251.abstract

                                          Mohan

Mohan Doss, Ph.D., MCCPM
Medical Physicist,
Associate Professor, Diagnostic Imaging,
Fox Chase Cancer Center, R427
333 Cottman Avenue,
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497.
Phone: 215 214-1707
Fax:   215 728-4755
E-mail:  Mohan.Doss at fccc.edu

On 8/12/2013 1:28 PM, Joseph Shonka wrote:
>   Does anyone on RADSAFE know if Parkinson syndrome (differentiated from
> Parkinson disease) could be caused by exposure to radionuclides?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private, confidential, or legally privileged information intended for the sole use of the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies of this email including all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and confidentiality of such information.