[ RadSafe ] Communicating with the public and the press

Bill Prestwich prestwic at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 21 12:30:39 CDT 2013

I do not believe there is a scientific definition of safe, nor should there
be, which is the heart of the problem. To the public safe is understood in a
binary context-either something is safe or its dangerous. It is this concept
which the anti-nuclear movement uses to make the claim that the LNT provides
scientific proof that there is no safe level of ionizing radiation. Leaving
aside the controversy surrounding the LNT, even if one accepts it the
anti-nuclear approach has to be based upon the absurd definition of safe as
an activity with zero risk. Science can quantify risk, but as you rightly
point out, is incapable of defining safe which is a subjective decision.

Bill