[ RadSafe ] Article by Vincent Giuliano on "Radiation Hormesis"

Dixon, John E. (CDC/ONDIEH/NCEH) gyf7 at cdc.gov
Thu Feb 7 10:36:24 CST 2013

Jerry and Victor,

I too wish there was an accepted alternative to LNT. ALARA is a fine concept; however, the problem with trying to apply this "principle" is FORGETING or ignoring the "R" in the acronym. ALARA should be alaRa.
Changing the "rules" requires sound data and the acceptance of the results. As you know health physics involves the "s" word - statistics. That topic can work for or against you. My opinion of the topic is: "there are lies, dam* lies, and then there are statistics."
There are also two schools of thought about radiation: the dose based approach and the risk based approach. I feel that the former has the political momentum at present.

I would also like to help in bringing common sense into the fold of radiation protection; but I believe that until there is a change of prevailing attitudes toward radiation and dose, the effort is uphill at best.

Let me know if I can help.

John Dixon