[ RadSafe ] UNSCEAR low-level exposure report

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Thu Feb 7 10:38:08 CST 2013

Good Morning,

An interesting report full of much bureaucratic waffle language.  To be
chartable, these various groups do have to exercise some caution in their
statements and recommendations.  Having written that, I have spent some time
looking at various articles on LNT.  The vast majority of these articles
question LNT use at low dose rates.  My opinion is that many administrators
who don't understand radiation relay on LNT risk estimates because it makes
life simple.  Its real easy to do the third grade math and convince yourself
and others that this is a "real" risk with "real cancer deaths" in the
thousands to tens of thousands.  Next, comes the call for more regulations
and more budget and more staff.  With more budget and staff comes promotions
and more pay.  Thus, government organizations like the EPA end up in
entrenched positions like the one on Radon or their infamous remediation
rules.  Sadly, this is fed by unscientific studies published by the
anti-nuclear crowd.  I had one person tell me that birds were falling out of
the sky in Northern California during the height of the Fukushima releases.
Being the guy in charge of the state's monitoring of air, etc., I knew that
this was just hysteria.  I tried to explain to this person that he had not
been told the truth.  It was like dealing with some weird version of
Orwell's 1984.  The best I can get was an acknowledgment that maybe I knew
what I was talking about.  Its going to take a lot of work to counter the
hysterical and untrue anti-radiation, anti-nuclear propaganda.  I don't have
a good answer.

Victor