[ RadSafe ] Mission to Mars

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Sat Feb 23 01:05:12 CST 2013

Mike, et. al.,

Some interesting questions and arguments.  First off, you pick a high enough
orbit that the USA no longer has jurisdiction and you find a friendly
country that is willing to let you launch shuttles up to your rock.  No
jurisdiction, no EIR;  Naaa, Naaa; with a raspberry sound.  Seriously
comrade, I am sure there are plenty of countries willing to host the
enterprise.  It is all a question of money.  As more mass is removed to
hollow out the rock, the lighter it gets.  This means less power is needed
to move the thing.  A goodly sized nuclear reactor can make a fine rocket.
You may even want to use some of that spare "rock" as reaction mass.  Now
about that spin thing.  You see it is all about how long the rotational
movement is about the center.  The longer the arm (r), the less speed
(radians/s) is needed to achieve a given pseudo-force (centrifugal) force at
the end of r.  Given that r is long enough, the differential over say 30
meters will be very small.  Its all a matter of design.  Actually, a lower
force of 0.75 g may be adequate.  The issue is preventing loss of calcium
and degradation of the bones due to lack of gravity.  The real question is
how to design the project so that it does not take up a considerable
fraction of the US national budget or your host country's budget.  The other
issue is how to do the project and keep various groups such as the EPA from
getting involved.  The idea of using the Moon as a base has been explored.
Good thinking because of the lower gravity well.  I still think that the
elephant under the rug is the radiation environment.  Any of you young
health physicists looking for a job?

Victor