[ RadSafe ] Neutron Detection Instrument Recommendation

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Feb 25 13:55:28 CST 2013

HPI (Health Physics Instruments - Goleta, CA) has neutron detection
instruments, fixed or portable  They do NORMALLY have moderators and He3
tubes ----- for many good reasons --- HOWEVER - I'm SURE they would sell
you one without a moderator and with a BF3 tube.

Also - just "cobbling one up" with normally available lab electronics
(NIM) shouldn't be a problem either - the preamp might be the biggest
challenge.

In any event - the HPI fixed unit is very versatile and only needs a
scaler for readout and a 12vdc source for power.  Its two pieces - the
pre-amp/amp/hv/discriminator/tube head and an interface unit - the ones
I used were NIM but HPI can probably make almost any configuration you
desire.