[ RadSafe ] Radioactive contamination unearthed at former rocket test site near Los Angeles - U.S. News

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Jan 7 12:08:23 CST 2013

On 1/7/2013 9:49 AM, Douglas Minnema wrote:

>SNAP Program - This was a program to develop small power reactors for satellites and space applications, and is the program that >ultimately produced the thermo-electric systems used by the Apollo astronauts on the moon.  These were much smaller than the nuclear >rocket engines (~1-100 KW versus 4000 MW).

Note on SNAP:

The one currently on the moon - a SNAP-27 - 70 Watts!  not kW.

There were also models I heard about for oceanic research - I don't know is these Pu ones for ocean deployment where ever made.

I worked doing QA at the company that made the Be parts (body, heat radiator fins, fuel shipping container) for the project and a Ti liner.  First summer job after High School the summer before college.