[ RadSafe ] Sealed Calibration sources in China

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 14:03:19 CST 2013

Hi Bob:

The last time I checked, they honor the IAEA regulations found in IAEA
Publication 1225 - TS-R-1 (2005), IATA 10.4.2.1, which were identical to
the US code in 49 CFR 173.403.

That's a two part test: 1) Activity concentration AND sum
of permissible activity fractions.

DEFINITION:
49CFR173.403: “Radioactive material means any material containing
radionuclides where BOTH the activity
concentration AND the total activity in the consignment EXCEED the values
specified in the table in §173.436 or
values derived according to the instructions in §173.433.”

BASIS OF CALCULATION:
For the material to be considered “Radioactive Material”, the sum of the
maximum permissible activity fractions may
not exceed the value of 1. If the value were to exceed “1”, then the
package must be labeled as UN2910. If the value
is less than 1, no special packaging or labeling is required.

I would certainly prepare a "pro-forma" declaration.

Attached is what I used when I returned to the USA from France.

Dan ii