[ RadSafe ] New Claim - Cesium near Fukushima now 10 times higher than previous highest measurement

Mon Jan 14 13:40:59 CST 2013

While I don't have the numbers handy, I recall hearing that soil
concentrations of various isotope can vary by a couple orders of
magnitude, even within a 10X10 meter grid.  If one chooses places where
runoff from roofs, roads, etc., collect, then much higher levels seem
likely.  But as you say, it really doesn't tell you anything about
general conditions.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Dan McCarn
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 11:25 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] New Claim - Cesium near Fukushima now 10 times
higher than previous highest measurement

Hi Group:

I was living in Austria from 1980-1990. I remember following Chernobyl
that I was able to quickly find "hot spots" associated with stripping of
R/Ns from roadways and large flat surfaces with runoff into grassy
patches which left that small patch very hot.  That, in no way,
represented an average for a soil, but rather a very small hot patch.  I
could go on about the auguries of effective soil sampling, but most of
you at least have an inkling about that.  With the ability to detect
very small quantities and changes in radiation, even a well trained
sampler is "tempted" to cherry-pick those locations, but they in no way
are representative of a typical value.

I'd refer you to various geostatistics (spatial statistical) texts (or
even
MARSSIM) on sampling methodology.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist