[ RadSafe ] Article by Vincent Giuliano on "Radiation Hormesis"

Wed Jan 30 15:19:32 CST 2013

If that is the study I am thinking of, the sacrificed the mice after
some fairly short length of time and looked for cancer.  The study I
would like to see would wait until the subjects died on their own (or
were euthanized because they were in obvious terminal distress).  If you
want to demonstrate hormesis in the lab (with animals), I believe you
have to let the test run to its conclusion, and then be able to show a
dose/response curve.

Another experiment that would, I believe, be entertaining in the amount
of consternation it would cause, would be to ask a source of certified
organic seed to provide seeds that would be split into a number of
separate lots, irradiate some at different but fairly low doses, and
provide the seed (in a blind study, of course) to organic growers to
grow under controlled conditions.  I suspect the results would not be in
keeping with preconceptions the organic community holds.  It would be
amusing to watch the flailing about.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of Howard Long
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:47 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) MailingList
Cc: pollycove at att.net
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Article by Vincent Giuliano on "Radiation
Hormesis"

Pollycove and Feinendigan did similar studies on mice.
I am looking at the handout given by Pollycove at DDP 5-10 years ago,
titled.
(Seal of Nuclear Regulatory Commission)
Epidemiology, Molecular Biology, and the Demise of the Linear
No-Threshold
(LNT) Hypothesis
Myron Pollycove MD Visiting Medical Fellow US NRC

I just spoke with Myron and forward this to him.
He says he is loaded with ammunition for you all.

Howard Long