[ RadSafe ] Request for Assistance

Doug Aitken JAitken at slb.com
Wed Jul 3 07:46:42 CDT 2013

Wireline logging companies were using Cs137 sources (generally with activity of under 75 GBq) for subsurface density logging (in oil/gas/mineral exploration wells) since the late  '50s. The first sources used (from 3M) used (soluble) Cesium chloride encapsulated in ceramic microspheres (obviously encapsulated in (2 or 3 levels of) steel encapsulation. These could have created pretty nasty contamination if ruptured and I believe the last of these were removed from service in the "80s, replaced for "solid" sources with the active material fused into ceramic material.

Regards
Doug
Doug Aitken
QHSE Advisor, Schlumberger D&M Operations Support
Cell Phone: 713-562-8585
(alternate e-mail: doug.aitken at slb.com )
Mail:
Schlumberger, Drilling & Measurements HQ,
300 Schlumberger Drive, MD15,
Sugar Land, Texas 77478