[ RadSafe ] [New post] Strange thyroid cysts in 30% ofFukushima children

KARAM, PHILIP PHILIP.KARAM at nypd.org
Tue Jul 2 13:02:05 CDT 2013

It'd also be interesting to compare the thyroid burden (and dose) to a diagnostic dose of I-131.

With respect to the number of cysts - it is likely that there was no 100% census of childrens' thyroids before the accident and, without that information, there's no way to know what the background incidence of nodules or cysts was. On the other hand, there's no reason why such a survey can't be done today in a city (or cities) unaffected by fallout from Fukushima, and such a comparison would certainly be informative. But lacking such information, nobody can do more than speculate.

Andy