[ RadSafe ] Dirty Bomb with Co-60 in the core

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 20:55:53 CDT 2013

Dear RADSAFERS

In 2004 Kishore Kuchibhotla and Matthew Mckinzie at Henry L. Stimson Centre, Washington wrote an article on the possible impact of a dirty bomb on New Delhi, the Capital of India. I recall that they chose cobalt-60 as the radioisotope. You may recall with the availability appropriate computer codes any one who has a paper and pencil can write impressive and scary articles for public consumption. A few did it for A-bomb impact and when the time came "dirty bomb" became the topic. Since the Stimson centre report excited raw emotions it has got wide media coverage. The editor of The Tribune asked me to write an OP/ED on the topic

You may access it at:
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040225/edit.htm#7

Those who have fertile imagination can think of the infinite possibilities of a dirty bomb with Co-60 at its core! You can choose the most innocuous radioisotope for the dirty bomb, the psychological impact will be the most dreadful.I recall a few years ago a very senior scientist who was involved in extracting the first gram of plutonium from a reprocessing plant in India was very much worried about the radiological impact of this first gram if it is dropped in the municipal water supply.That was a time we were told that plutonium is so toxic that if we utter that word we must wash our mouth with sterile water thrice to avoid any toxic consequence!.When his colleagues with  health physics background told him not to worry as the material will sink to the bottom of the tank and may remain there he did not believe it.I hope our colleagues in the list with health physics background will not rise in rebellion to question the accuracy of the views of the
 health physicists

Regards
Parthasarathy