[ RadSafe ] Fw: [NucNews] Some Atomic Energy Workers Passed Effects of Radiation and Chemical Exposure to their Spouses and Children, Were the conditions that bad?

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jun 9 20:57:43 CDT 2013

Friends,

You may note the following news item and its ramifications.

These stories may not be supported by unassailable evidence.That the workers used to keep their food warm by keeping them over yellow cake is a myth. But people will believe stories of this type.There was probably a time when the clothes of workers handling uranium compounds were washed at home. That these exposures were unlikely to cause all types of cancers including  ovarian cancer may be scientifically true. But perception matters.

In 1981, I was a research associate at the University of Virginia Medical Centre.I interacted closely with the radiation physics group. I have witnessed how the group provided competent radiation protection coverage during interstitial implantation of gold seeds and during radiotherapy using I-131. In all these instances, the physicians associated with the treatments spent time with the patients and relatives and explained the procedures, their benefits and possible risks.

On one occasion, a 60 year old patient remained unconscious slightly longer in the recovery room. It was not unusual.I overheard his daughter telling her mother that the patient is taking longer time as the treatment involved the use of intense radioactive gold seeds.I recall that the physician who treated the patient discussed that matter with the relatives and convinced them that the delay in gaining consciousness has nothing to do with radiation treatment.Such impressions will spread by word of mouth faster.

On many occasions, I have responded to the queries of anxious parents and others on effects, if any, of radiation on workers. The latest was a query from a civil engineering graduate who got a job in one of the units of the Department of Atomic Energy.Then there was a news flash on the local TV channel describing radiation caused "birth defects and genetic mutations" in the family of radiation workers.His parents pleaded with him not to accept the job.It took a lot of time to convince the parents.

When certain "scientists" who want to fish in muddied waters are around it will be impossible to correct the wrong impressions.Can some senior members  of the group enlighten us on the conditions of labs in nuclear industries handling uranium in the 90s?

With warm regards
Parthasarathy