[ RadSafe ] Need advice Moving large Pb shield

Tue Mar 5 11:15:58 CST 2013

I second Rick's recommendation of using professionals.  Years ago I had
an epiphany:  "If you want a job done right, hire someone who knows how
to do it."  For a specialized job like this, another epiphany comes into
play, "One of the great joys in life is having the right tool for the
job."  Professional riggers will have tools you don't even know exist,
that will make the job safer and easier.

-----Original Message-----
From: radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu
[mailto:radsafe-bounces at health.phys.iit.edu] On Behalf Of
RDAlarcao at dhhs.state.nh.us
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:09 AM
To: The International Radiation Protection (Health Physics) Mailing List
Subject: Re: [ RadSafe ] Need advice Moving large Pb shield

I would be very hesitant to do this as a DIY project.  I would suggest
hiring a professional rigging company.  I observed the move of a blood
irradiator from one building to another, through many tight hallways and
doors.  The rigger was Shaughnessy & Ahern out of Boston.  They did a
very impressive job.

Good luck.

Rick D'Alarcao, Ph.D.
Health Physicist
Radiological Health Program
New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services Division of Public
Health Services Bureau of Public Health Protection
29 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301-6504
Office: (603) 271-7578
Cell (603) 203-1969
Fax: (603) 225-2325
Email: rdalarcao at dhhs.state.nh.us

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message, including any attachments,
is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from
unauthorized disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this message, any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this
message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and destroy
all copies of the original message.