[ RadSafe ] Edward Teller on Climate change

Theo Richel theo at richel.org
Wed Mar 6 05:31:15 CST 2013

Kjell is worried about the extra CO2 we humans indeed put in the
atmosphere and its consequences for food production.

My take: the 6000 ppm you mention is something from geological time and
completely irrelevant for our situation where the CO2 hovers around 400
PPM. Check http://www.co2science.org/data/plant_growth/plantgrowth.php
for a large list of publications and summaries making clear that for
instance a doubling of the current CO2 concentrations will have very
positive consequences for food production all over the world, and for
what looks like every plant. The earth is greening thanks to our CO2
emission. This is why greenhouses (the real ones) fertilize their crops
with lots of extra CO2 (which they buy from oil refineries).

And also: even alarmists concede now that earth temperatures have not
risen in the past 16 years, (IPCC's Rajendra Pachauri, James Hansen ande
the Climate Research Unit Univ East Anglia in England). Meanwhile CO2
has been rising steadily.  So even if Pacific islands were being flooded
(they are not) you'd have a hard time blaming it on rising temperatures.

Best

TR