[ RadSafe ] Skyshine measurements

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Wed Mar 6 22:58:09 CST 2013

Good Evening,

This is indeed interesting. Perhaps Ted could share some of his results.
With a BWR, skyshine is a more straight forward issue.  The major radiation
source is N-14 in the steam as it travels through the turbine.  While
working at Peach Bottom I had the opportunity to measure dose rates in the
turbine building alongside the turbines at full power.  As I recall dose
rates were about 1 rem/hr at roughly 2 to 3 meters from the turbine surface.
Skyshine is a function of what lies directly over the turbines.  Most plants
will have a thin steel roof over the turbine deck.  This has more to do with
the weather than anything else.  After the N-16 photons radiate into the air
above the turbine roof, they are subject to scatter.  As someone has pointed
out moisture in the air, air density, etc will determine scattering of the
N-16 photons.  If the turbine building is subject to low lying fog, then the
fog could act as thin shield.  A low cloud bank will increase the
scattering.  How much is an interesting question.  For those of you with a
masochistic streak, the calculation can be done using a good monte carlo
code such as MCNP 2.7.0.  In my opinion, the best method is to make
measurements.  The good news is that you only have to measure the scattered
N-16 gammas.  The bad news is that dose rates are very low.  The trick of
using 1 inch (2.54 cm) by 12 inch (30.48 cm) compensated GM tubes is
intriguing.  One big question is how sensitive these detectors are.  At the
site boundaries, the best method is to take integrated doses over long
periods of time (e.g., months).  One problem that our Swedish friend has is
this requirement to take measurements at 120% of power and with low laying
clouds.  The low laying cloud issue is a problem simply because clouds will
not stay low, maintain the same composition, or even keep the same altitude.
What will be required is a good weather data base. Even then, it will be
hard to determine what part of the measured rates are due to low laying
clouds.  One technique could be to measure closer to the turbine building
where measurable readings can be made.  With some luck, the influence of low
laying clouds may be seen.  In my opinion, ultimately what counts is the
annual rates at the site boundary.  As long as measurements show that annual
dose rates are well within regulatory limits, the plant has met standards.

Victor