[ RadSafe ] Repository versus disposal facility

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 14:03:49 CST 2013

Dear Ed:

I agree.

The answer is that there is no profit to be made in reprocessing because of
the relative abundance and low cost of uranium reserves and resources
driving a once-through "fuel-cycle", if it can truly be called a "cycle".
 And there are several reasons that it is easier and cheaper to make new
fuel.

That said, the actual cost for the nuclear fuel for a reactor is not a
primary driving factor. Comparing the fuel cost with virtually any other
form of energy production e.f. coal, gas, etc. it's really pretty cheap.
Given that, additional costs for reprocessing & MOX fuel are
probably acceptable in the grand scheme of things, but there has to be an
incentive for a company to go that route.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
108 Sherwood Blvd
Los Alamos, NM 87544-3425