[ RadSafe ] Offsite Dose Calculation Manual & Reg. Guide 1.109

JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com JOHN.RICH at sargentlundy.com
Thu Mar 7 18:34:29 CST 2013

Radsafers

It appears that the (US) Offsite Dose Calculation Manuals (ODCM) and Reg.
Guide 1.109 do not address doses from airborne release and subsequent
ingestion of alpha emitting nuclides (e.g., U, Pu, Am, etc.).  I haven't
been able to find any guidance that explains why alpha doses do, or do
not, need to be calculated.  It's clear that the quantity of alpha
emitting nuclides need to be measured and reported.  However, nothing is
said about what is supposed to be done with this information, other than
reporting it.

Anyway, this is a long-winded request for help.  Could somebody point me
to a basis for leaving doses from alpha emitting nuclides out of the
calculations of offsite doses.

thnx in advance  - -jmr

John Rich
312-269-3768