[ RadSafe ] Long-lived Radioactive Waste

Victor Anderson victor.anderson at frontier.com
Fri Mar 8 19:08:59 CST 2013

Good Evening,

Elk Grove-Sacramento, CA weather is good.  Not too hot and not too cold.
Sort of like the proverbial porridge.  Fascinating program about Egyptian
tombs on H2.  I digress, the GA idea is indeed interesting.  There seems to
be two ways to use spent fuel.  One is disassemble each bundle carefully and
as pointed out below characterize each fuel rod and make a new bundle that
can be part of the new reactor that will run supercritical under the correct
conditions.  The other is to reprocess the fuel and make into new fuel for
the new reactor design.  High temperature gas cooled reactors (HTGR) go way
back.  My old alma mater, the US Army Nuclear Power program had one portable
helium cooled, truck mounted HTGR that was run in the early sixties.
According to the more senior members of the program, the mobile reactor
produced about 600 kW of electric power and took a convey of 40 vehicles to
support.  Still it was truly portable.  GA does have the experience to build
Helium cooled HTGRs.  The issues of nuclear safety and making reuse of spent
fuel economic appear to be the two biggest hurtles.  An alternative of 100
MW plants might make it easier to design, build, operate such plants.  As an
old rent-a-tech buddy of mine used to say: "Small plant; small problems.
Big plant; big problems."

Victor Anderson
ex MOS 52L2I  Health Physicist/Plant Chemist
U.S. Army