[ RadSafe ] Hibaku Trees

Rees, Brian G brees at lanl.gov
Mon Mar 11 08:21:59 CDT 2013

There wasn't really any contamination of the soil, the Hiroshima blast was an air blast, so its lethal effects were blast and heat primarily.  When you look at lethal levels of radiation from an air blast you find that the thermal exposures are a much greater concern at the same distance.  I suppose a seed submerged in soil could be exposed to high levels of radiation and not burned beyond viability.

Brian Rees