[ RadSafe ] Improper Application of ALARA following stabilization of Fukushima Nuclear Reactors

Dan McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:53:54 CDT 2013

Dear Mohan:

There was a Russian study from St. Petersburg following Chernobyl that
arrived at similar conclusions (10th anniversary meetings in 1996). It was
effectively squashed.

The mortality rate of survivors that were relocated was strongly effected
by stress-related diseases. My "old Russian boss", A. Nechaev, from the
IAEA is looking for that paper for me now. He reported that there were 5
increased-risk, stress-related diseases present: 1) Suicide; 2) Drug
& alcohol abuse; 3) Diabetes; 4-Heart disease; and 5) Stroke (listed in the
order of significance). These were increased risks compared to a control
population that remained just outside of the 30-km exclusion zone who
received a larger radiation dose.

A large part of the stress was related to media pressure, separation from
extended family, loss of meaningful work, living in sub-standard housing,
poor diet & very-low income.

Best,

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist