[ RadSafe ] RadSafe Digest, Vol 1241, Issue 1

JPreisig at aol.com JPreisig at aol.com
Wed Mar 20 12:52:27 CDT 2013

Radsafe:

     The real trick with models is to do good data  fitting.  Chi-Square
tests or whatever, the whole shebang...
Figure out whether you are doing Gaussian or Poisson or whatever  fitting.
Refer to books like Bevington,
Press, Teukolsky et al.,  Joan Westlake (Matrix Inversion  hints).  For
really involved stochastic modeling, refer to books like  Jazwinski
(linearization of non-linear problems).

    Pick a first model: linear with a slope and intercept,  then go from
there.  Compare the actual measured data with the modeled  data.  The
quantities you are measuring are not always the parameters you  are estimating.  See
books by Gelb, R. Grover Brown, J.V. Candy etc.   Improve the model as
needed.
You don't want too many fitted parameters, nor too few.

    A brief comment on the source terms available with the  computer
program MCNP (Monte Carlo Neutral Particle Program).  Many  radiation source
possibilities are available --- not just line or point  sources.
You can define the actual source geometry using MCNP's geometric shape
definition language.  You can have spherical sources, cylindrical sources,
etc.  You can input the mathematical form of the source
also --- isotropic and other varieties.  It's pretty neat.

    And sometimes you cannot make radiation measurements of  a new
radiation facility, because it hasn't been built yet.  You can use  MCNP to design a
new facility --- neutron, gamma/xray or perhaps even
electron-based.  I did this once for a new Cesium source at the Long
Island National Laboratory (USA).

   MCNP also has the capability to make repeated structures, such  as
geometric elements such as fuel rods, moderating material etc.  So, you  just
define the structure once and then put it anywhere else in the reactor or
whatever, as needed.  I expect you could design a rudimentary power reactor
using MCNP.  If the neutron cross-section data were available, one might  also
design a crude nuclear device.

   If you get the chance to learn MCNP, perhaps you should do  so.  You'll
never give anyone a straight answer again --- you'll end up  speaking to
people in terms of probabilities...It pretty much changes the way  you think
somewhat.

   Have a good week     Joe Preisig

PS  Sometimes hotspots are geological phenomena...

In a message dated 3/20/2013 1:25:09 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,